“Tell me about your summer.” I can see my students’ eyes glaze over when I assign this as a first day of school writing prompt! Last year, I tried out some new writing prompts and the kids loved them. I enjoyed watching their brand new pencils scratch furiously over the paper as they completed these writing assignments.
Kids love to tell us about themselves! Use these writing prompts to help you get to know your new students!
- List and describe three things you want me to know about you.
- If you could start the summer over again, what three things would you change?
- You were a 4th grader last year and had many experiences. What do you hope will be different in 5th grade?
- Describe one of your strengths and one of your weaknesses.
- Which one of these words best describes you? busy thoughtful kind Explain why this word describes you.
- If you were given $100,000 to write a book, what would you write the book about? The topic should be something that interests you. Explain why you chose this topic.
- All people learn differently. Tell me what helps you to learn best.
- Fifth grade is fun but can be challenging at times. What do you think will be the two most difficult things about being a fifth grader? Explain why you chose those two things.
- If you were given the choice of these three things, which one would you choose? 1. getting along with everyone for the rest of your life 2. unlimited money for the rest of your life 3. ability to see the future Why did you make this choice?
- With which member of your family are you especially close? Why?
- List three qualities that make a teacher the very best teacher ever. Describe those three qualities.
- Describe something that has happened in your life that has made you a better person.
What else do I use to start the school year? Check out these back-to-school activities!